solo-1

solo-1
“There are cool cats and there are cool Memphis cats but no one, not
Elvis, not Jerry Lee, not even the Wolf came close to epitomizing Memphis
and cool like Jim Dickinson did. He was the Top Cat Daddy, an
inspiration, a mentor and my friend.

If you knew his music and understood his role as one of the links between
black and white culture and between blues and rock and roll, you know what
I'm talking about. If he is unfamiliar to you, now's as good time as any
to get to know him, even though he's checked out of the motel.”

--Joe Nick Patoski


For more about Jim go to
http://www.zebraranch.com
http://joenickp.blogspot.com/2009/08/james-luther-dickinson.html

Saturday, September 6, 2014

CONTEST VIDEO #11 - Final Contest Video


This recording of Jim, Luther, Cody, Paul Taylor, and the big man in the hat, Jim Spake, playing "You Made Your Move Too Soon" puts a big smile on my face.  It's one of the few songs Jim performed that he modified the lyrics to fit his life.

This song "pretty much wraps it up, ties it so to speak," says Jim.

(At first it's about two star-crossed lovers….)

"Freezing snow out in Birmingham,
Thought you might wonder baby where I am,
I dialed your number all night long,
No consolation on the telephone.
So I went on out I call it midnight,
A little love makes everything all right.
Landlord said, 'You moved away.  Left me
With all of your bills to pay.'
I gotta tell you, Baby I think you kinda made your move too soon."

(But a little irony slips in….)

"You left me stranded with a Bingo card
Down in Tunica where they just ain't got a heart.
I ran it up to about fifty grand,
Cashed it and held it in the palm of my hand…"

(What?  This guy's not a loser after all!)

"That kinda news really gets around,
Tends to make a lost lover come up found
Here you come at my door,
You ain't living here with me no more.
You made your move too soon
You vacated the premises prematurely"

(Jim triumphs!)

Luther takes a rousing solo.

Jim introduces the band,
"Not because I don't think you know who they are but because we have a short set. We haven't rehearsed and we haven't played together for a year and a half, but it really is fun to play with this particular aggregation in this particular situation, as it were…"

(After he finishes with the band, Jim introduces himself in the last verse….)

"As for me….

'I've been from Memphis down to Mexico,
Orange Mound to Ontario.
I'm not the type to make the news,
I'm just a country boy likes to play the blues.
I takes my liquor with me everywhere and
If you don't like it, child, I really don't care.
The towns come up, my friends fall down,
They love to see us when we roll into town.
We never make a move too soon….'"

You notice at the end of the song there are only a few people clapping.  Jim liked it that way.  He told me, "I love it when people walk out.  It means the ones who are left are serious!" If you're still here and reading this, listening to the tune, you are serious and like me, happy because Jim is "just dead. He's not gone."  Thanks for sticking around.  You're the best.



Visit the Jim Dickinson's Legacy Facebook page to vote for your favorite video! One entry for each Like and one entry for each Share! This is the final video and the last chance to become part of the contest before we select the People's Choice Award and select a winner from all those that voted and shared that video!

No comments:

Post a Comment